George Walther's "Speaking from Experience" Blog

George Walther is an internationally acclaimed expert at boosting personal performance. He's a professional speaker of the highest caliber, and is widely published.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

George Walther is an internationally acclaimed expert at boosting personal performance. He's a professional speaker of the highest caliber, and is widely published. His focus areas are: Improving communication effectiveness with "Phone Power" and "Power Talking" techniques, Making customer relationships more profitable using "Upside-Down Marketing" strategies, and Honing intuitive decision-making using "Gut-Level Leadership" principles. George's books, audio programs, and video training tapes have been published around the world in many languages. Phone Power shows people in every profession how to be more effective and efficient every time they use their telephones. Power Talking is a practical guide to communicating more positively and powerfully. Upside-Down Marketing revolutionizes traditional sales philosophies by focusing on the most profitable -- and the most overlooked -- sales opportunities among existing and former customers.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

How the body shop used a phone to repair my car.

I recently had a very positive experience with an auto repair shop that had very little to do with their actual repair. It was the simple (though rare) way they used their phone that made my car shine.


My vehicle was recently damaged by a flooring contractor who backed into the driver's door. It was crunched in, and the window was jammed. I groaned as I anticipated the unpleasant task of getting repair estimates, dealing with the contractor’s insurance company, and so on.


I ended up with a very positive assessment of the body shop’s repair job. But it had very little to do with the repair itself.


Here's what happened: I took my vehicle to Precision Autocraft in Newcastle, Washington for the repair. I had planned to be in Canada for the week during which the repair was scheduled and just left it with them.


Part way through that week, I got a phone call from the shop. Jennifer phoned to let me know that the part they needed to repair my door had arrived and that they were in the process of working on it. She also promised to give me a call with an update when I returned in a few days.


She did exactly that and again called to let me know that it was now in the paint shop.


A couple of days later, she called again. This time, she told me that the repair was complete and that they wanted to be sure my car was freshly washed and ready to go when I came to pick it up and asked when I would like to come by.


Later that week, she called again to ask if there was anything that wasn’t absolutely perfect and reminded me that their work is always guaranteed.


I have a very high opinion of Precision Autocraft. But it's not just because they did a wonderful job of repairing my car, which they did. My opinion was based on how they communicated with me. The fact that they had taken the trouble to update me on their progress and keep me advised every step of the way led me to have a very positive view of how they handle customers.

Suppose I’d had two cars being repaired by two shops right next door to each other (and I’m glad I didn’t). One made the series of calls I’ve just described. The other shop did an equally good job with the repair itself, in the same amount of time, but didn’t make the calls. Which shop would I recommend (and write about)?


Think about it. Do you know anything about dentistry? Probably not. Your opinion of your dentist is based not on the doctor's clinical expertise, but on how you are treated when you call for an appointment, how you are welcomed in the reception area, etc. It all comes down to communications.


I don't know a darn thing about auto body repairs. The door looks fine and the vehicle drives as if nothing had ever happened. My very positive opinion of Precision Autocraft is primarily the result of their simple series of phone calls to update me on the progress of their repairs.


Would your customers respond positively if you gave them periodic updates? Suppose you contacted customers to let them know the status of their order fulfillment. What if you called to confirm appointment details? Suppose you made a follow up call to ensure everything was fine and that they were delighted with your work.


Your phone can build your customers’ delight, and it’s simple to do. But, you do have to do it.


Make those calls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home