George Walther's "Speaking from Experience" Blog

George Walther is an internationally acclaimed expert at boosting personal performance. He's a professional speaker of the highest caliber, and is widely published.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

George Walther is an internationally acclaimed expert at boosting personal performance. He's a professional speaker of the highest caliber, and is widely published. His focus areas are: Improving communication effectiveness with "Phone Power" and "Power Talking" techniques, Making customer relationships more profitable using "Upside-Down Marketing" strategies, and Honing intuitive decision-making using "Gut-Level Leadership" principles. George's books, audio programs, and video training tapes have been published around the world in many languages. Phone Power shows people in every profession how to be more effective and efficient every time they use their telephones. Power Talking is a practical guide to communicating more positively and powerfully. Upside-Down Marketing revolutionizes traditional sales philosophies by focusing on the most profitable -- and the most overlooked -- sales opportunities among existing and former customers.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Blessed Theft

A Blessed Theft

My briefcase with two laptops, business and financial records, passport, etc, was just stolen… and I’m happy about it! As I moved my bags from a motel room to my rental car’s trunk during a California business trip, thieves struck in a moment. They’d apparently been watching my room and car from the parking lot, and after I loaded the first two bags and walked ten steps to my room for the third bag, they hit.

It’s a big hassle to replace everything, and will cost well over $5000 and many, many hours of work. That’s not what I’m happy about.

What pleases me is the knowledge that I get to choose my reaction to the situation. I’m so grateful to realize that I can decide to see the waves of goodness in a sea of gunk. What a blessing!

I’m not saying I was thrilled in any way, but I “got over it” in 24 hours. I did it by consciously deciding to “look for” the positives and then weigh the bad and the good:

It’s BAD that I:

· Have to buy a new computer to replace the brand new MacBook laptop.
· Have to get a new passport.
· Have to change my financial account numbers and alert my investment company to watch for fraud.
· Have to deal with that feeling of “violation” that other crime victims talk about.

And, it’s GOOD that:

· When I received a suspicious nighttime call in my motel room telling me that I needed to go to the office because “the manager has to talk to me,” I was alert enough to recognize that something was fishy. If I’d left my room when the crooks called, I may well have been mugged, stabbed, or who knows what.
· The thieves took the briefcase from the trunk of my car, rather than barging into my room as I returned to get my other bag. I never had to confront them and potentially be terrorized.
· Police arrived within ten minutes of my call. I never wondered if the cops were “good guys,” or if they expected a bribe, as happens in so much of the world.
· Just about everybody to whom I’ve mentioned the theft immediately expresses true sympathy. People care.
· When I called American Express to see if I’d purchased the brand new MacBook laptop with my Amex card, hoping it might be covered under their “Purchase Protection Plan,” I found out that I had used a different credit card and it wasn’t covered. But, the phone rep, after telling me how sorry he was, gave me a $50 credit on my account just out of kindness.
· The reason I had two laptops in the briefcase is because I was in the process of moving all my data from the PC to the Mac. It’s a time-consuming hassle, and now I don’t have to do it.
· The annualized cost of theft in my life; the total cost of items stolen divided by my 58 years, comes out to just over $100, which is really not bad. (Until this theft, it was $0.05 because I had a $3.00 pocket knife stolen in about 1970, and that’s all.)

So, when you weigh it out, there’s plenty I can be happy about. Most of all, I’m glad that I have the knowledge and skill to determine how I’ll react to situations like these. And you do, too. What a blessing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home